Program Pendidikan Doktor FTUI dimulai resmi pada tahun 2000 dengan dibukanya Program Sudi (PS) Teknik Sipil, Teknik Elektro diikuti penggabungan Program Studi Optoelektroteknika dan Aplikasi Laser dengan Program Pascasarjana FTUI. Program Studi Teknik Mesin dibuka secara resmi pada tahun 2006, sementara Program Studi Teknik Metalurgi dan Material serta Teknik Kimia dibuka tahun 2007. Pada tahun 2009 dibuka Program Doktor di Arsitektur. Pada tahun 2011, PS Optoelektroteknika dan Aplikasi Laser ditutup dan digabungkan dengan PS Teknik Elektro. Program Studi Doktor dipimpin oleh Ketua Program Studi (KPS) yang dijabat secara ex-officio oleh Ketua Departemen. Program Studi Doktor memiliki satu atau lebih Bidang Kekhususan untuk memberikan pendalaman pengetahuan teknik yang lebih spesifik kepada mahasiswa peserta program studi tersebut.
Program Doktor di bidang Teknik Sipil memiliki 7 spesialisasi yaitu : Struktur, Geoteknik, Transportasi, Manajemen Sumber Daya Air, Manajemen Konktruksi, Manajemen Infrastruktur, Manajemen Proek dan Spesialisasi di bidang Teknik Lingkungan.
Spesialisasi : Struktur
• Concrete technology and engineering;
• Fiber-reinforced concrete;
• Polymer concrete;
• Waste and recycled concrete;
• Public building,
• Structural studies and design;
• Advanced structural analysis; and
• Masonry structures and materials.
Spesialisasi : Geoteknik
• Peat soil;
• Pavement geotechnical;
• Geosynthetic-reinforced earthwork;
• Unsaturated soil behavior; and
• Bio-grouting of sandy soils.
Spesialisasi : Transportasi
• Public transportation planning and development;
• Traffic impact, management, and safety;
• Master plan and policy
Spesialisasi : Manajemen Konstruksi, Manajemen proyek
• The application of project management in construction and transportation industry.
Spesialisasi : Teknik Lingkungan
• Water supply and management;
• Liquid and solid waste; pollution control and prevention;
• Hazardous waste management; and soil surface quality.
• Water Engineering: focuses on rainwater management;
• Water related green infrastructure;
• Integrated and ground and surface water management;
• Water related disaster management;
• Water resources management; and
• Sediment contaminant and transport.
1. Tahap pre-admisi: calon mahasiswa secara informal menghubungi calon promotor atau Ketua Departemen untuk mendiskusikan topik disertasi yang diinginkan. Hal ini untuk memastikan ketersediaan promotor sesuai
topik penelitian. Komunikasi dapat dilakukan melalui email atau tatap muka.
2. Calon mahasiswa mendaftarkan diri melalui http://penerimaan.ui.ac.id, dengan melengkapi semua persyaratan yang diminta.
3. Calon mahasiswa mengikuti Ujian SeleksiMasuk, yang terdiri dari: (i) Test Potensi Akademik, dan (ii) English Proficiency Test
4. Hasil Ujian Seleksi Masuk disampaikan oleh Panitia Ujian Seleksi Masuk UI ke FTUI untuk kemudian dibahas dalam Rapat Komite Departemen yang dipimpin oleh Ketua Departemen, untuk menentukan calon mahasiswa yang diterima, usulan topik riset yang disepakati dan ketersediaan calon promotor. Bila diperlukan, dapat dilakukan wawancara dengan calon mahasiswa, untuk memastikan kesesuaian topik riset, kesesuaian dengan bidang studi jenjang pendidikan sebelumnya, dan kesediaan calon mahasiswa untuk menempuh studi S3 penuh waktu. Wawancara dilakukan di Departemen Teknik Sipil.
5. Hasil rapat disampaikan ke Panitia Ujian Seleksi Masuk UI untuk diumumkan.
Sejak terdaftar sampai sebelum lulus ujian kualifikasi, mahasiswa dibimbing oleh seorang Penasehat Akademik (PA) yang diharapkan menjadi Promotor atau Kopromotor. Setelah lulus ujian kualifikasi, mahasiswa akan mendapat status sebagai calon doktor dan PA diharapkan berubah statusnya menjadi Promotor/ Kopromotor.
Promotor dan Kopromotor adalah pengajar atau tenaga ahli yang sesuai dan mendapat tugas dari Ketua Departemen berdasarkan SK Rektor untuk membimbing calon doktor dalam melaksanakan penelitian dan penulisan disertasi. Pembimbing terdiri dari 1 Promotor dan maksimal 2 (dua) Kopromotor. Promotor adalah Pembimbing I yang bergelar akademik Profesor atau bergelar Doktor dengan jabatan akademik minimal Lektor Kepala, mempunyai bidang keilmuan/ keahlian yang relevan dengan disertasi mahasiswa program Doktor dan berstatus staf pengajar tetap Universitas Indonesia.
Ko-promotor adalah pendamping Promotor sebagai Pembimbing 2 dan/ atau Pembimbing 3 yang bergelar akademik minimal Lektor Kepala dan bergelar Doktor. Kopromotor dari luar FTUI harus mendapat persetujuan dari Promotor. Promotor dan Kopromotor diangkat oleh Rektor atas usulan Dekan atas usulan Kepala Departemen setelah mahasiswa lulus Ujian Kualiﬁkasi.
ADVANCED RESEARCH METHOD
Course participants are expected to: (a) master the scientific work process based on science philosophy, which is the scientific justification aspects, innovative aspects and scientific ethics aspects, (b) able to write a research proposal and or draft of scientific writing related to the student’s doctoral topic.
(1) Relationship between philosophy and engineering science;
(2) Science Philosophy;
(3) Epystemology in Engineering Science;
(4) Research Method;
(5) Problem formulation and hypothesis;
(6) Research and state of the art;
(7) Research Evaluation;
(8) Design Evaluation and research Stages;
(9) Introduction to the analysis of the data processing method;
(10) Benchmark on research output and conclusion formulation;
(11) Various citation method;
(12) Finalization of research proposal draft and /or scientific article draft.
1. Haryono Imam R dan C. Verhaak, Filsafat Ilmu Pengetahuan, Gramedia, Jakarta, 1995
2. Willie Tan, “Practical Research Methods”, Prentice Hall, 2002.
3. R. Kumar, Research Methodology, A Step by step Guide for Beginner, 3rd ed., Sage Pub, 2012
QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS
Discuss the qualitative and quantitative in data analysis and exploring specific data analysis areas. After taking this subject, course participants are expected to have the following subject outcomes:
(1) Awareness to situations requiring qualitative data analysis in the inductive paradigm;
(2) Awareness to situations requiring quantitative data analysis in the deductive paradigm;
(3) Appreciation toward various approaches;
(4) Possessing skills in giving critical appraisal;
(5) Possessing skills in performing qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
Introduction; Qualitative Analysis; Quantitative Analysis; Non-Parametric Analysis; Uncertainty Analysis; Critical Appraisal; Design of Experiment; ANOVA revisit; Multivariate Techniques.
1. Miles M & Huberman M, Qualitative Data Analysis, London Sage Publications, (1994)
2. Montgomery, D.C., & Runger, G.C, Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers 3rd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York,(2003)
3. Kirkup, L, Experimental 3. Method: An Introduction to the Analysis and Presentation, John Wiley and Sons, Australia, Ltd.,
4. Montgomery, D.C, Design and Analysis of Experiments 6th Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, (2005)
5. Hair, J.F., B.Black, B.Babin and R.E Anderson, Multivariate Data Analysis 6th Ed., Pearson Education Inc., New Jersey, (2006)
ENCV900002 & ENCV900003
Special Subject 2
The Subjects are meant to develop the student’s knowledge with information and knowledge from unrelated field. The following are the requirements for the implementation of Special Subject 1 and 2:
- For students who do not have in line Master degree educational background from the Faculty of Engineering Universitas Indonesia, they are allowed to take the similar courses of the related field of study available at the Master Program in FTUI during the running semester.
- Students are also allowed to take courses from other study programs within the Faculty of Engineering Universitas Indonesia or courses from other faculties in UI as stated in the Guidance Book or the Master/Doctoral Program Catalog.
- In the event where neither conditions is viable for the students, the Academic Advisor is allowed to conduct a class of said course.
Pre-Research I (2 SKS)
Pre-Research I is initial activities in a research where students are required to do literature study in connection to his/her research materials. Literature study must be done intensively by mapping the latest research results from international journals on related subjects.
The final objective for Pre-Research I is that students have a state of the art understanding of his research topic, and be able to determine the unexplored knowledge gap in the international level for further study and research during his Doctoral program. The result of Pre-Research I is written into a literature study report which later will be examined by a panel, consisting of Future Promotor/ Academic Advisor or other examiners.
Minimum Grade : B
Pre-Research II and Qualification Examination
Pre-Research II is a continuance activity of Pre-Research I, where after the student has a clear state of the art understanding of his topic research, student can formulate the scope of his Doctoral research and determine his research method. The result from the student’s Pre-Research I is in the form of an comprehensive research proposal which includes objective, background and data analysis from experiment and early research done. Included in the research proposal is the work plan for each semester and publication target. It is very advisable for the student, in the Pre-Research II stage, to start conducting experiment or initial study which can show that the research direction taken is feasible and recent in his field. Thus, it is expected that by the end of the semester the student can write a scientific article which is viable to be presented in a National Seminar. The result of the experiment or the initial study, the literature study and the complete research plan is concluded in a Pre-Research II Report which will be examined in a Qualification Examination. Pre-Research II Appraisal is given after the Qualification Examination. The students of the Doctoral Program will be considered passing the Pre-Research II if acquiring a minimum B grade at the Qualification Exam. The Qualification Examination is conducted by the Qualification Examination Committee proposed by Head of Department. The committee consists of a minimum of 3 (three) people and maximum of 5 (five) people. The committee consists of candidate promotor and co-promotor, head of department and other examiners.
Research I (5 SKS)
Research I is a continuance of the Pre-Research II activity. At this stage, student is expected to have an experiment output or study to enhance his research topic and clarify his research direction. The research output must also show an innovation or breakthrough, mastery of knowledge on the related science discipline to the research topic, in depth research material, state of the art knowledge and mastery of the latest development of the field of research interest, originality and contribution to the field of science and / or its application. To ensure the originality, the student must present a research/experiment/ early study result that deserves to be publicized. The entire sequence of research results in the Pre-Research I, Pre-Research II and Research I stages are expected to viable for publication on a National Journal.
Prerequisite : passed the qualification examination.
Minimum Grade : B
Research II (7 SKS)
Research II is a continuance of research activity in accordance to the research designed planned. During this stage, Doctor Candidate is expected to start producing research results which are the main part of the planned original contribution. The research result at this stage is expected to be viable for publication in an International
Conference. Once in every two years, FTUI held the International Conference on Quality in Research which all Doctor Candidate may utilize to publicize his Doctoral Research which he has completed until the Research II stage. The results for Research II activities are measured through an examination or a Research Result Seminar which is held publicly. The Research II Examination Committee is appointed by the Dean through a Dean’s Decree based on a proposal from the Head of Department. If deemed necessary, the Head of Department may invite an external examiner from outside of the Universitas Indonesia as part of the Research II Examination Committee.
Minimum Grade : B
Research III and Pre-Promotion Examination
During this stage, a Doctor Candidate is expected to have the main results which is deemed feasible as part of his original contribution to the science world. The entire research results up until this stage are required to written by the Doctor Candidate in a dissertation paper to be examined in a Pre-Promotion Examination. Thus, it is to be expected that within this stage, the Doctor Candidate has written an article draft to be publicized in an International Journal and has determined which International Journal he/she intends to submit the article to. FTUI published an international journal, the International Journal of Technology (IJTech), which the student may utilize as one of International Journal which he can publicize his Doctoral research.
Pre-Promotion Examination is to appraise the Doctor Candidate’s dissertation paper which is compiled based on his research results that have been approved by his promoter and co-promotor. The requirements and prerequisites for Pra-Promotion Examination are:
- Promotor and Co-Promotor have given a written approval on the page of the dissertation paper that the student is considered qualified for Pre-Promotion Examination.
- Pre-Promotion Examination is held by the Pre Promotion Examination Committee. The committee for the Pre-Promotion Examination is appointed through a Dean of the Faculty of Engineering UI’s Decree based on a proposal from the Head of Department. The committee consists of (a) The dissertation advisor team, that is the Promotor and Co-Promotor, and (b) the rebuttals team, consisting of a minimum of five people and a maximum of seven people where one of them is from an outside institution of the Universitas Indonesia. Rebuttal team consists of experts in related field to the one which the Doctor Candidate is studying.
- The Pre-Promotion Examination is held in a closed session for around 3 (three) hours and divided into two steps: the dissertation presentation by the Doctor Candidate for 15-30 minutes and a Question and Answer session for 120-165 minutes.
Minimum Grade : B with minimum GPA of 3.00.
Research IV and Promotion Examination (6 SKS)
During this stage, the Doctor Candidate is required to conduct additional research as a follow up on his Pre-Promotion Examination. Suggestions and critics during the Pre-Promotion Examination must be answered and completed through a series of final research. At this stage, the Doctor Candidate must also be able to prove the authenticity and originality of his research results as new contribution to the science world. Therefore, the Doctor Candidate is required to have received the status of “Accepted” for International Journal publication.
The Doctor Candidate must also have completed his dissertation paper and must be ready for the Promotion Examination. The Examination is a meant to appraise a Doctor Candidate dissertation in order to award him the highest degree in the academic world, Doctor.
The requirements and prerequisites for Promotion Examination are as follow:
- The Promotion Examination can only be held if the student has fulfilled the scientific publication as required, in accordance to the Dean’s Decree Number 010/D/SK/FTUI/I/2012 dated 18 January 2010 where a Doctor Candidate must have a minimum of 1 (one) International Science Journal publication (or “Accepted status) and 1 (one) National Science Journal publication in line with his dissertation research. The publication must also state the Faculty of Engineering Universitas Indonesia as one of its affiliation.
- The Promotor and Co-Promotor have given a written approval on the page of the dissertation paper that the student is considered qualified for Promotion Examination.
- The Head of Department submit a report to the Dean stating that the Doctor Candidate has finished his Research IV and is ready for examination in a Promotion Examination.
- The Promotion examination is conducted by the Promotion Examination Committee. The committee for the Promotion Examination is appointed through a Rector’s Decree based on a proposal from the Head of Department made through the Dean of Faculty of Enginering Universitas Indonesia. The committee consists of a minimum of 7 (seven) people and a maximum of 9 (nine) people.
- The Promotion Examination Committee consists of (a) Promotor and Co-Promotor, (b) Examiners, (c) a minimum of one person within the committee is from an outside institution of the Universitas Indonesia.
- The examiners consist of experts in related field to the one which the Doctor Candidate is studying. In special circumstances, an examiner from outside of the Academic society may be invited.
- Promotion Examination is lead by the Examination Committee Head who is also a committee member aside from the Promotor/ Co-Promotor and outside examiners.
- If the Examination Committee Head is unable to attend, the Head of Committee position may be filled by one of the examiners committee member.
- The Promotion Examination is held in a public session examination for around 3 (three) hours and divided into two steps: the dissertation presentation by the Doctor Candidate for 15-30 minutes and a Question and Answer session for 120-165 minutes.
Minimum Grade : B with minimum GPA of 3.00.
Dissertation is an academic paper based on study result and/or in-depth research done independently which contains new contribution to issues or problems which have been answered temporary or rise new questions about things that are considered to have been confirmed and established in the field of science and technology; conducted by the Doctor Candidate under the supervision of his Academic Advisor. Doctor candidate who has finished his dissertation correction is obligated to submit five copies of his dissertation (in hard cover) with original letter of approvals which have been signed by all advisors to the FTUI Center of Administration signifying the end of his study in FTUI. The Dissertation writing format and binding must follow the Dissertation Writing and Binding Guidelines in accordance to the Technical Guidelines of Final Project Writing of Universitas Indonesia Students which can be downloaded from http://www.ui.ac.id/download.